Parks and Gardens
Visitors and residents often describe the City of Perth as a parkland oasis. There are not many cities in the world which mix commerce and retail with beautifully crafted green open space combining heritage, public art and water features. This attribute is considered a major asset and plays a central role in city planning strategies. Within the city boundaries there are 18 parkland areas covering a total of 140 hectares in area, of which 10 kilometres is river foreshore.
Harold Boas Gardens
Named after architect and former City of Perth Councillor, Harold Boas, the gardens feature several lakes and a waterfall. Dense shrubberies with large grassed areas and ample shade from the trees, originally planted in 1900, provides a restful respite for city workers.
Harold Boas Gardens is a popular location for wedding parties and there are four separate areas set aside for photographing wedding groups. Other facilities available at Harold Boas Gardens include a children's playground, 24 hour public toilets, parking on Delhi Street and drinking water.
These gardens are located on the corner of Wellington and Havelock Streets, West Perth.
Take a virtual tour.
Supreme Court Gardens
Opened in 1845 as a botanical garden, Supreme Court Gardens are part of an important open space area in the Central Business District, which incorporates Stirling Gardens and Government House Gardens, the original Swan River wall, the Francis Burt Library and the Supreme Court buildings.
Facilities at the Supreme Court Gardens include seating and lighting, public toilets and drinking water. The garden is semi enclosed by mature trees and gardens. Events such as Opera in the Park and Carols by Candlelight are held here in the summer months.
The Supreme Court Gardens are located on the corner of Barrack Street and Riverside Drive, Perth.
The site of Queen's Gardens has been closely associated with the physical and social development of the City of Perth, initially as part of the commonage which was used for recreation purposes including horse racing and later as a clay mine and brickworks. The bricks produced between 1860 and 1890, went into several of Perth's most prominent buildings.
This part was officially opened and named Queens Gardens by then Mayor of the City of Perth, Alexander Forrest, MLA, in 1899.
The main features of the gardens include water lily-filled lakes (the old clay pits), massed displays of flowers and a replica of the Peter Pan statue in Kensington Gardens, London, manicured lawns and a large variety of trees and shrubs.
Facilities available include seating, a gazebo area, public toilets, and a drinking fountain. The gardens are enclosed by a wrought iron fence.
Queens Gardens are located on the corner of Nelson Crescent and Plain Street, East Perth.
Take a virtual tour.
Langley Park was created by land reclamation between 1921 and 1935, in response to the need for public open space near the city. Major (later Sir) Norman Brearly used this park as an airstrip when he pioneered civil aviation in Western Australia in the 1920's, a time when aviation was routinely perilous.
The airstrip was re-named Langley Park after the Acting Lord Mayor, TW Langley, who on 3 August 1937, opened the first section of Riverside Drive.
Langley Park is located along Riverside Drive between Victoria Avenue and Plain Street.
This garden being the oldest in Perth were originally used as an acclimatisation garden where many of its mature specimens were raised from seed. Grapes and other import fruits were first grown here. In 1845 it was opened as a botanical garden.
Stirling Gardens were reconstructed in 1965 with the Toodyay stone retaining wall and shallow pools which were designed by the City of Perth. Stirling Gardens honours the name of Sir James Stirling who fought long and hard for the establishment of a settlement in Western Australia. A more recent feature of the Gardens are the kangaroo sculptures and water feature.
Stirling Gardens are located at the corner of Barracks Street and St George's Terrace, Perth.
This parkland was officially named 'Russell Square' from inception, in memory of Lord John Russell, the Secretary of State and Colonies, 1839, and Prime Minister, 1846-1852. However, from an early stage it became known as 'Parco dei Sospire', - 'The Park of Sighs'. It gained this title as it was the favoured meeting place of the Italian community of 'Little Italy'. It was also opposite the Italians' favoured pub, the Victoria Hotel.
Originally, the design of the park was modelled on the square fenced gardens built in London in the mid-19th century.
In October 1994 Russell Square was upgraded. Improvements such as installing gateways, fencing and lighting, adding furniture and water features and reconstructing the brick paving and irrigation were included. Also, as part of the program, the park has become home for some thirty original sculptures, designed and constructed by local artists Greg James and Drago Dadich. They add life to the square and are well worth a look.
Russell Square is located on James Street. It is surrounded by Parker, Shenton, and Aberdeen Streets, in Northbridge.
This park was originally a swampland. It was drained and established as a public reserve in the 1830's, providing an ideal open space to train and exercise horses stabled in the area.
In 1898 two cricket pitches were installed and the ground was cleared to make a cricket field. It was formally named in honour of the Duke of Wellington, the British Prime Minister when the Swan River Colony was founded. Among locals though, it became popularly known as 'The Rec.'.
The park is still very much a recreation ground today. The Perth Cricket Association, as well as the schools in the inner city, make use of the facility all year round.
This square is situated on Wellington Street. It is surrounded by Bennett, Wittenoom, and Hill Streets, in East Perth.
Located at the end of Brown Street East Perth, Mardalup Park was created in 1997 and built on the former gas works site. In the past the area was used by many Nyungar families since colonisation as a camping ground. Mardalup a Nyungar term and in English the translation is 'place of small marsupial'. The park is entered by a flight of stone steps and a Pathway, leading to a tree shaded Circle of brick paving, located at the rivers edge. With the river as a backdrop this is an ideal location for an intimate wedding ceremony, or for informal wedding photos.
Take a virtual tour.
Victoria Gardens is located in the very heart of the stylish Claisebrook Cove village, it was completed in 1996 with significant input from Aboriginal artists. The park provides shelter in a stylish Gazebo, and stunning river views from elevated grassed areas . This park is only a short stroll from some of the areas best restaurants.
Take a virtual tour.