Holding an Event
The City of Perth hosts many exciting and enjoyable events throughout the year such as Skyworks, the City to Surf Fun Run, the Buddha Birthday Festival, French Rendez-vous, the Perth Fashion Festival, Targa West and smaller events such as parades or community activities held on parks, reserves or in public spaces such as Forrest Place or the Murray Street Mall.
All of these events require approval and a licence.
There are also smaller day to day activities that also require approval to obstruct or close roads, footpaths and verge areas. These may include painting of shop fronts, sign erection/ maintenance, crane & cherry picker use and public utility maintenance.
Events that need approval
Events that require approval include:
- any use of a Council Reserve or Streets within the City of Perth
- rallies or assemblies
- activities obstructing the road, footpath or verge
- (including road excavations and camera shoots)
- major and significant events
- Submit Application
- Events on Reserves require completion of an "Application to hold an Event" (fees are also applicable). Events held on City streets require a written application to be submitted detailing: dates and times; the type and purpose of the event; equipment to be used; proposed number of people in attendance; proposed streets and route.
- Events that will create a road, footpath or verge obstruction require completion of a "Road/Footpath Obstruction" form.
- Your application will be assessed by Technical Officers from the Approval Services Unit and may be submitted to Council if necessary.
- Emergency management plans may be required. Plans can be quite extensive for large events and staff are available to assist in formulation. Please note some events may require road closures and these must be advertised within the local newspaper. All costs associated with road closures and advertising are met by the applicant.
- If your application is approved, a copy of conditions of approval will be forwarded along with notification of any additional payable fees. Approval of events will be granted once you have returned the copy of conditions with your confirmation of acceptance and all fees have been paid. Road/Footpath obstruction permits are usually faxed back to applicant after assessment by the technical officer.
Approval Time Frame
If your event is to be held on a reserve or city park, it is advisable to secure a booking of your preferred location at the earliest opportunity.
Applications for events should be submitted a minimum of two months prior to the event. Major events require extensive planning and consultation . They may take up to a year to finalise. Applications should allow time for submission to Council (if required) as well as the advertising and arrangement of road closures.
Smaller events on reserves or events which involve only minor disruption to traffic flow and minimal road closures may be submitted up to one month prior to the event. Road/Footpath obstruction permints not requiring a road closure are usually approved within 48 hrs. Permits requring road closures are usually approved within 10 days.
For further information about Event Applications contact us